Saturday 21 June 2014

3rd Assignment - Monogram


I'm sure most of you have seen those initials before atleast once in your life. They are known to be the most famous brand initials in the world. But to be known for the most famous brand, you need to have good design. 

Monograms can be considered as signatures of someone, or initials that carry the product of the design. It consist of two to three letters that combines to form a specific logo. It's meant to be recognized and known. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In class, we were sitting in circles and was discussing about each other. Figuring out who we are, and what people perceive of us (It was fun). So, I was looking at different types of typography and stumbled upon some that I find interest in. Most of them where more towards Arabic fonts. So, they all gave me that keyword to work with. 

Throughout this assignment, I had to say that Retna inspired me the most. Let me put his link so that you could check his artwork. He's amazing! Digital Retna

Our next task after that was to create our monogram as much as possible. So there I was playing with my Initials which is Faizah (F) Hassan (H) Taleb (T) in Arab fonts: F= ف, H= ح , T= ط


So, after playing around with the initials, Ms Lisa chose this one :
Since some of you don't understand Arabic fonts, I shall let you know that the F = ف  is at the top of the logo that resembles a peacock and the T = ط  is inverted just for the sake of it. Trying out my own style of the font, and H = ح is at the bottom of the monogram. 

Patterns
We were then told to create a pattern from our logo which is the toughest task so far. We are free to use different methods to execute our pattern. So, I went for stamping method. By cutting out layers of mounting board, I pasted them together and stamp it on a coloured paper. It's quite messy but you can't expect 100% neatness from a handmade thing. 

6 Items
 
By printing out different sizes of my monogram, I match those 6 items based on the most suitable size.

Guitar and Sketchbook : I pasted my monogram by spray paint the object
Phone Casing, Box, Shirt: Painted the monogram 
Laptop: I used sticker paper and stainted on it. 

After 3 weeks - The final product of my monogram assignment.
I was wearing that shirt on the day of presentation, but I forgot to take pictures with the 6 items. So I'll just let this cute sculpture wear it for me. 

These are the 6 items and pattern that I've made for the past 3 weeks. I'm happy with the outcome and learned a lot of new methods on printing. It was fun exploring different mediums and knowing what medium goes with what item. 






No comments:

Post a Comment